Ok, from all the answers I got, some of them were just suggesting that's
impossible to do... Well, since my idea of computing is that "nothing is
impossible", I managed to work-out something good from everyones indications.
It's very nice to see the same colors and icons has a real Sun terminal!
Here is the situation:
On a PC:
1) Running Microsoft DOS 5.0 with MS-Windows 3.1 on a 386 PC
2) Running Beame & Whiteside transport and NFS services
3) Running eXceed/W V2.0 from Hummimgbird Communication
On a SUN SPARCstation 330
1) Running SunOS Release 4.1.1
2) Running OpenWin V3.0
1) On the PC, ensure that the X-Terminal emulator (eXceed/W) use the
XDMCP standard protocol to establish communication with the server
2) Configure xdm(1) on the Unix server properly
Specially the Xservers and Xsession files need to be customized
xdm will set environment variables such has $DISPLAY properly
3) The usual $OPENWINHOME/bin/openwin can not be run directly, but
the OpenWin window manager can (olwm(1) or olvwm(1))
4) Has someone indicated, there should be NO xterm, cmd-tool or
cmd-shell console window on any other terminal than the console
5) OpenWin is starting correctly, but the .login is never executed...
6) I made the changes directly in the Xsession file instead of
doing my own .xsession... An .xsession is a cleaner way of doing the
same thing, but it didn't work properly... Why?
7) All X and OpenWin related files work correctly
Following are my customized files:
# We don't want to use xdm on the console... remove the next line
#:0 Local local $OPENWINHOME/lib/xdm/StartOW :0
# Indicate such lines for each terminal
# Syntax is: terminal_ip_address_or_name:0 class "foreign"
# the class parameter doesn't seem to change anything...
tdsb-shamel:0 386 foreign
# @(#)Xsession 1.4 91/09/14
# This is the program that is run as the client
# for the display manager. This example is
# quite friendly as it attempts to run a per-user
# .xsession file instead of forcing a particular
# session layout
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH MANPATH HELPPATH
# try source .login/.profile
#case $SHELL in ; Normally, .cshrc and .login should
#"/bin/csh") ; be executed, but it doesn't work...
#. $HOME/.login ; If someone has a solution...
# ; I'm not sure if this is required...
# Force server to change userid to $USER
$OPENWINHOME/bin/xhost +$USER@ > /dev/null 2>&1
case $# in
case $1 in
exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0 -ls
startup=$HOME/.xinitrc ; Now, from here, we really init and
resources=$HOME/.Xresources ; start OpenWin
if [ -f $startup ]; then
exec /bin/sh $startup
if [ -f $resources ]; then
xrdb -load $resources
xrdb -merge $OPENWINHOME/lib/Xdefaults
xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ -r $HOME/.openwin-init ]
exec olwm -3
-- Stephane Hamel | AutoControle Inc. SHamel@Mais.Hydro.Qc.Ca | Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Phone: 1 514 858 7882
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:06:44 CDT