Re: SUMMARY: seeking advice on 4/670 vs. sparcstation 10 model 52

From: Jim Budler (
Date: Sat Jul 18 1992 - 14:56:21 CDT

In article <> (Steve Jay {Ultra Unix SW Mgr}) writes:
>Although I know from first hand experience that the VMEbus on a 600MP works,
>I go along with those who say a 600MP is a waste of money compared to
>an SS10. In fact, an IPX or SS2 runs as fast as single current 600MP CPU.
>This is not a new concept: I considered the 4/4xx servers a waste
>compared to the desktop SparcStations.

Well, not always 8^) Last year I turned down Sun's offer of an upgrade
from our 4/260 to a 4/470. I didn't want to put any more upgrades into a
very old 3/160 chassis.

This year I very happily accepted an "upgrade" to a 4 CPU, 2 gigabyte
disk, 64 meg RAM, 4/670.

This "upgrade" was a whole new machine. We had to send back the cpu,
memory board, and backplane.

Cost: $36K less catalyst discount. I'm quite happy with the new server.
And it didn't cost very much, either.

Now does anyone want the large hunk of metal that remains?

Jim Budler	You can reach me at: