From: Brian Bartholomew (
Date: Wed Dec 02 1992 - 05:10:47 CST

> Do you (collectively) know where I might obtain some utility
> (preferably in source form) that can purge selected disk partitions?

| The majority opinion is that newfs(8) will do the trick, possibly
| proceeded by some conflagration of the 'dd' command.

newfs(8) will NOT do the trick, at least under SunOS 4.1.1 on an SMD
disk attached to a 3/260. I tried it once to sanitize a decomissioned
/var/spool/mail and strings(1) showed all manner of stuff left over.

The following WILL do the trick in the above environment, because I
just tested it:

        dd bs=20b < /dev/zero > /dev/rxy1b

"To use Fred Brooks' terminology, people keep handing me programs
when I'm expecting programming products." -- Me
Brian Bartholomew - - Univ. of Florida Dept. of Mathematics