Re: SUMMARY: FrameMaker vs. IslandWrite

From: Robert Terek [Contractor] (
Date: Thu Dec 17 1992 - 02:48:48 CST

In article <> writes:
>Here is a summary of the responses I received regarding advantages/disadvantages
>of FrameMaker and IslandWrite. In general, people felt that Frame was a
>better choice for more complex document preparation, while Island* was better
>for painting/drawing and simple documents:
>Ronald Guest ( writes:
>>So based on our experience, I would pick Island* for casual/small
>>usage and Frame for formal documentation. The biggest advantage
>>of Island* is price.
>Jonathan B. Horen ( writes:
>>If [you want to create memos, letters, proposals, newsletters and
>>documentation] then I suggest FrameMaker (as a 3-year FrameMaker user, and
>>3-year FrameMaker Administrator, and 17-year TechWriter). If [you want to
>>create small business bulletins, handouts, quizzes, diagrams, flowcharts,
>>orgcharts, etc.] then I suggest IslandWrite/Draw/Paint.

These opinions are fine, but they don't contain much information.
*Why* is Island not suitable for "complex" documents? "Island is
ok for handouts, quizzes..." *Why*? What features does it lack
that make it unsuitable for larger documents?

One important feature Island never had was some sort of "anchored
frame" (or container, in Island-speak) but I hear that 4.0 finally
has it. So, what holds it back?

I'm not flaming here, I'd just like to know the basis for these opinions.

Bob Terek                               "Time to dim the lights. . .  or                   and chill the ham."