Moving DiskSuite Raid Volume to another Machine

O'Connor, Joe D OConnorJD at navair.navy.mil
Mon Jun 16 14:52:46 EDT 2003

I need to move a Solaris 8, DiskSuite 4.2.1, Raid 5 volume from one machine
to another.  The second machine has identical software with an existing
mirror of the root disk.  The disk controllers will be on different id's.
The Raid 5 volume consists of 8 140GB drives with two soft partitions.

Can anyone give me the proper method to do this while preserving the RAID 5
data.  The data consists of over 6 million files and although it is static
and backed up it is extremely slow to load.  I do have the option of
removing the mirror on the target system, re-initializing the database,
adding the existing Raid 5 set, and then re-establishing the mirror.

Thanks
Joe O'Connor

Output from the metastat -p command for both systems is below:

RAID 5 to be moved (220R system):

metastat -p

d1 -p d0 -o 1 -b 996147200
d2 -p d0 -o 996147202 -b 891289600
d0 -r c2t0d0s0 c2t1d0s0 c2t2d0s0 c2t3d0s0
c2t4d0s0 c2t5d0s0 c2t8d0s0 c2t9d0s0 -k
 -i 32b

Target system with existing mirrors (280R system) to receive the Raid

#metastat -p

d100 -m d0 d10 1
d0 1 1 c1t0d0s0
d10 1 1 c1t1d0s0