SUMMARY: init vs shutdown

Paveza, Gary gary.paveza at AIG.COM
Tue Jun 15 08:38:24 EDT 2004

Thanks for the quick answers.  It never dawned on me that shutdown was a
script (I'm primarily an HPUX admin - shutdown is binary there).

In short, the shutdown command does several things before it calls init.

- warns users
- does a sync

After talking with the vendor, he wanted to use init only because during his
tests, init actually performed a power off, while shutdown didn't (it just
shutdown the OS according to him).

I realize we could do a sync then init, but since that's two commands - it's
just another place to cause a problem if one is forgotten.  Shutdown does
the same thing without the risk of forgetting the sync.  Since the vendor
(this is an application vendor giving OS instructions) isn't going to
support the system if it doesn't come up, we're going to do it via the
shutdown.

Gary Paveza, Jr.
Senior Systems Administrator -CSA
(302) 252-4831 - phone