SUMMARY: cannot relay email messages

mike_josh at verizon.net mike_josh at verizon.net
Fri Dec 2 17:42:46 EST 2005

Hi all,

I got many responses, thanks for all the replies. It turned out that the host name that was chosen for the server was conflicting with the other server. If I ran the following command:

#host server.mycompany.com

The ip address I was getting that this was hosting was different than the ip address set up in /etc/hosts file. So the solution was, instead of using hostname to relay the messages to smarthost, I used the ip address of the smarthost. For eg, instead of defining the smarthost as the following in the sendmail.mc file:

define(`SMART_HOST', `server.mycompany.com')

I used the following:

define(`SMART_HOST', `<ip address>')

Thankyou again for all the help.

Regards,