How to restrict user access?

comp question compquestion at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 15:09:44 EDT 2001

I need to restrict a user to access only one directory on a machine.  How
can I go about doing so.  Currently the directory is wide open and owned by
group other.  All users are supposed to have access to this directory, which
is why the group is set that way.  It seems the best way  to get this
accomplished is to make a new group and add all existing user to this, as
their secondary group, and make it the new users primary group.  Does this
seem practical, or is there a better way?  Thanks.