error msg: SCSI bus reset .. ???

Gallagher, James james.gallagher at MISYS.COM
Fri Oct 5 03:12:28 EDT 2001

I need some guidance on a problem which has just hit us (hard!).

We have a SPARCBook (microsSPARC architecture server from Tadpole
Technologies) running Solaris 2.6 which we have just booted after a blown ac
adaptor.

On boot we get as far as hostname: blah
Got a warning about another device trying to be the server IP address ..
fair enough (IP address is static, no naming service)

Then

WARNING: /iommu at 0,10000000/sbus at 0,10001000/espdma at 4,8400000/esp at 4,8800000
(esp0)
external SCSI Bus reset

WARNING:
/iommu at 0,10000000/sbus at 0,10001000/espdma at 4,8400000/esp at 4,8800000/sd3,0 (sd3)
SCSI transport failed reason 'reset' :retrying command
Connected command timeout for Target 3.0

which repeats continuously - doesn't get over it and move on to another
stage as I had hoped!

I can't break out to an 'ok' prompt - keyboard is reduced size so trying
ctrl-A, ctrl-break  .. various combinations of other keystrokes.

What I would appreciate is some help to quantify what I'm looking at
(technical support isn't available yet and repair is 3days shipping to UK
and this machine is critical) i.e. is this likely to be a hardware issue
related to the power problems or can I work through this when I find a way
in?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

James Gallagher