Plextor CDRW and Cdrecord issues

Dennis Martens Dennis_Martens at health.qld.gov.au
Wed Oct 10 21:19:42 EDT 2001

--=_C19B33A5.9FFE812D

All

  I had recently configured a Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32S CD Writer on a S=
olaris 6 platform. I installed the scg package, Gnu cc and Gnu make, then s=
uccessfully installed Cdrecord 1.9.  I was able to use mkisofs and cdrecord=
 to burn files to CD, and these CD's could be read under both Solaris and W=
indows. So far so good, but this was just a test.

  I then put the CD Writer onto a Solaris 7 platform, installed the softwar=
e, and installed the Solaris7 version of the scg binary, but it seems as if=
 the CD Writer is only recognised as a CD-Rom. If I put a blank CD in, it g=
ets spat out again. The cdrecord -scanbus command shows: PLEXTOR  CD-R  PX-=
W1210S  1.01 Removable CD-ROM

  I am not able to remove the drive from the bus right now, or I would chec=
k if it still worked on the Solaris2.6 box.

  Before I return it to the vendor for testing, I wanted to ask if anyone h=
as had a similar experience. The drive is in a sealed unit, so I have not a=
ltered any jumper settings. Is this a Solaris7 problem, or is it possible t=
hat the drive has cooked itself somehow?

Thanks for any assistance

Dennis Martens
Unix Administrator, BCISU
Queensland Health , Brisbane Australia
617 32340729

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential=20
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality=20
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended=20
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error. =20

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review=20
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of=20
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this=20
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by=20
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail=20
message and destroy any hard copies produced.

--=_C19B33A5.9FFE812D

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=us-ascii" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=1>All</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>&nbsp; I had recently configured a </FONT><FONT size=1>Plextor
Plexwriter 12/10/32S CD Writer on a Solaris 6 platform. I installed the scg
package, Gnu cc and Gnu make, then successfully installed Cdrecord 1.9.&nbsp; I
was able to use mkisofs and cdrecord to burn files to CD, and these CD's could
be read under both Solaris and Windows. So far so good, but this was just a
test.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>&nbsp; I then put the CD Writer onto a Solaris 7 platform,
installed the software, and installed the Solaris7 version of the scg binary,
but it seems as if the CD Writer is only recognised as a CD-Rom. If I put a
blank CD in, it gets spat out again. The cdrecord -scanbus command shows:
PLEXTOR&nbsp; CD-R&nbsp; PX-W1210S&nbsp; 1.01 Removable CD-ROM</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>&nbsp;&nbsp;I am not able to remove the drive from the bus
right now, or I would check if it still worked on the Solaris2.6
box.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>&nbsp;&nbsp;Before I return it to the vendor for testing, I
wanted to ask if anyone has had a similar experience. The drive is in a sealed
unit, so I have not altered any jumper settings. Is this a Solaris7 problem, or
is it possible that the drive has cooked itself somehow?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Thanks for any assistance</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Dennis Martens<BR>Unix Administrator, BCISU<BR>Queensland
Health , Brisbane Australia<BR>617 32340729<BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--=_C19B33A5.9FFE812D--