getexecname() failed for sort and ps in chroot during jumpstart

Josh Lukens josh.lukens at us.ubizen.com
Fri Oct 12 10:47:40 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a jumpstart server to spit out Check Point firewalls.
I'm using the JASS toolkit to apply patches, install packages, and run my
lock down scripts.  All boxes are running Solaris 8 (07-2001) and are fully
patched with the recommended cluster.  Unfortunatly the Checkpoint packages
don't seem to behave properly with the -R switch to pkgadd so I've reverted
to installing them using the old chroot method.

In the chrooted enviroment I can't seem to run either ps or sort.  Both give
me the error getexecname().  The only information I chould find on this is
here:

http://dcb.sun.com/technology/security/qa_archive/qa071201.html

which suggests it is a library problem.  I tried running truss in the chroot
but it dies with the same getexecname() error.  Digging a little further I
found that the /usr/bin/ps and /usr/bin/sort were only wrapper programs for
/usr/bin/sparcv9/ps and /usr/bin/sparcv7/sort (which I assume vary by
platform).

Right now in my install script I'm copying /usr/bin/sparcv9/ps and
/usr/bin/sparcv7/sort into /usr/bin before my chroot pkgadd and then
replacing the origionals when the install is finished.  This seems like a
horrid hack and I'd like to figure out how to fix the problem correctly.

Any thoughts?

-Josh