Sun Blade 100 System restore from SparcStation 5

EBennett at powerlan.com.au EBennett at powerlan.com.au
Mon Oct 15 23:23:08 EDT 2001

------_=_NextPart_001_01C155F1.E032F600

I have a Sun Blade 100 System w 256mb ram and a 20gb IDE HDD, recently I
ufsrestore'd a filesystem backup from an older Sparcstation 5 onto the disk
via the typical method. This all worked fine until I tried to installboot a
bootblock from the Solaris 8 install I got with the system, unsurprisingly
this did not work as expected, OpenBoot gave me the "the file loaded does
not appear to be executable" message.

I got hold of a Solaris 2.5.1 CD set (which is what the old Sparc 5 was
running) and gave that a try instead, but I wasn't even able to get it to
boot on the blade, I've consulted Sun in Sydney and they've informed me that
the Blade is not compatible with 2.5.1, if this was true I would at least
expect the kernel to load from the CD, but when attempting to boot from the
install CD I get the message "the file loaded does not appear to be
executable" interspersed with "cannot read superblock". I've tried boot
cdrom:a-f but all give the same error message.

It appears to me at this point in time that the only possible solution to
this problem is to run an Upgrade via the Solaris 8 install disk, if this is
the only way to do it then I guess that's what I'll have to do but the
system has a lot of legacy applications and I am not confident in Solaris
8's ability to run them without issue.

This has been going on for a while now and has become time critical, thanks
in advance for any assistance available.

Regards

Eric

------_=_NextPart_001_01C155F1.E032F600

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Sun Blade 100 System restore from SparcStation 5</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have a Sun Blade 100 System w 256mb =
ram and a 20gb IDE HDD, recently I ufsrestore'd a filesystem backup =
from an older Sparcstation 5 onto the disk via the typical method. This =
all worked fine until I tried to installboot a bootblock from the =
Solaris 8 install I got with the system, unsurprisingly this did not =
work as expected, OpenBoot gave me the &quot;the file loaded does not =
appear to be executable&quot; message. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I got hold of a Solaris 2.5.1 CD set =
(which is what the old Sparc 5 was running) and gave that a try =
instead, but I wasn't even able to get it to boot on the blade, I've =
consulted Sun in Sydney and they've informed me that the Blade is not =
compatible with 2.5.1, if this was true I would at least expect the =
kernel to load from the CD, but when attempting to boot from the =
install CD I get the message &quot;the file loaded does not appear to =
be executable&quot; interspersed with &quot;cannot read =
superblock&quot;. I've tried boot cdrom:a-f but all give the same error =
message.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">It appears to me at this point in time =
that the only possible solution to this problem is to run an Upgrade =
via the Solaris 8 install disk, if this is the only way to do it then I =
guess that's what I'll have to do but the system has a lot of legacy =
applications and I am not confident in Solaris 8's ability to run them =
without issue.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">This has been going on for a while now =
and has become time critical, thanks in advance for any assistance =
available.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Regards</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Eric</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C155F1.E032F600--