Sun 280R vs 220R and new machines announcing next week

Ryan McEwan rmcewan at netopia.com
Fri Oct 26 17:00:25 EDT 2001

I just got a call from my sun sales rep regarding the new Sun machines they
are announcing next week as well as discussing 220's vs 280's.  Rumor has it
they are coming out with a 480 (4x750 MHz) cheaper than a 420 (450 HMz).  I
am having a hard time understanding why the 280 (750 Mhz proc) is cheaper
than a 220 (450 MHz proc)???  I understand that the 280's are only capable
of running Solaris 8 and above whereas the 220's are capable of running
Solaris 7 and I believe 2.6, but other than this, can someone please help me
understand this?  Also the 280's and presumably the 480 are going to have
fibre channel drives vs scsi in the 220's and 420's.   Does anyone have real
experience between the 2 servers and likes/dislikes accordingly?  I am
running now about 10 220's and they have been extremely stable, however if
280's are as stable and much faster and cheaper why not run them???
Thoughts?  Insights?

Thanks again

Ryan