Flashing Sun's Qlogic HBA firmware for EMC Fabric Environment...

Ian Perez-Ponce emcian at aol.net
Fri Oct 26 17:13:00 EDT 2001

Greetings All,

This one's a stumper. I'm curious to see if anyone has encountered similar
problems when trying to flash Qlogic firmware to accomodate an EMC fabric
environment:

- Customer has 2 x Sun Fire 3800's that were shipped with Qlogic HBA Model
6748A directly from Sun.

- After consulting with fellow Sun and EMC Engineers we deduced that the
6748A is equivalent
  to a Qlogic QCP2202 - only it is manufactured for Sun and Sun in turn
provides its own drivers and firmware via Qlogic
  shown below:

	- # pkginfo |grep -i qlogic
	  system      SUNWqlc        Qlogic ISP 2200/2202 Fibre Channel Device
Driver
	  system      SUNWqlcx       Qlogic ISP 2200/2202 Fibre Channel Device
Driver (64 bit)

- EMC recommends and supports only one type of HBA for a Sun Fire 3800 in an
EMC Fabric Environment and that is the
  Qlogic QCP2202F with v3.12 driver

	- Note: I realize the easy fix for this was telling the customer to
purchase the EMC recommended cards (QCP2202F)
        however, customer insisted on using cards already purchased
(Surprise, Surprise)

- To load that driver I had to flash the firmware with the Qlogic flash
utility avaiable under the Solaris section on
  Qlogic's website:

	- Syntax: # ./qla2x00flash -l
/devices/ssm at 0,0/pci at 18,700000/pci at 2/SUNW,qlc at 5/fp at 0,0:devctl ./ifp2200.prom

	- This is the error ouput received: Device IOCTL error: Inappropriate ioctl
for device

- As a last resort I found a last minute possible solution on Sunsolve under
BUGID: 4327714 where I can run luxadm to load
  firmware onto an HBA.

	- Syntax: # luxadm qlgc_s_download -f ifp2200.prom

			Warning: System is not in single-user mode.
			Do you wish to continue ? (y/n) y

			Warning: Cannot read boot device link, check /etc/mnttab.
			Do not upgrade FCode on adapters controlling the boot device.

  			Found Path to 12 FC100/P, ISP2200 Devices

  			Opening Device:
/devices/ssm at 0,0/pci at 18,700000/pci at 2/SUNW,qlc at 4/fp at 0,0:devctl
  			Detected FCode Version:       ISP2200 FC-AL Host Adapter Driver: 1.12
01/01/16
  			New FCode Version:            QLA2200 Fibre Channel Host Adapter fcode
version 1.17.1 08/24/01

			WARNING!! This program will update the FCode in this FC100/PCI,
ISP2200/PCI device.
			This may take a few (5) minutes. Please be patient.
			Do you wish to continue ? (y/n) y
 			Successful FCode download:
/devices/ssm at 0,0/pci at 18,700000/pci at 2/SUNW,qlc at 4/fp at 0,0:devctl

- I repeated the firmware flash for all 6 x dual ported HBA's and rebooted.

- In the end I had a PROM_PANIC[0x08] and the host would not boot until I
pulled out only the two HBA's that were connected
  to the Fibre Switch which were:

	- /devices/ssm at 0,0/pci at 18,700000/pci at 2/SUNW,qlc at 5/fp at 0,0:devctl
CONNECTED
	  /devices/ssm at 0,0/pci at 1c,700000/pci at 2/SUNW,qlc at 5/fp at 0,0:devctl
CONNECTED

END OF MESSY STORY.

If anyone has any clues, suggestions, recommendations or entertaining
thoughts please do drop me a line. Thanks much.

  I.P.P