Group entry exceeds 512 char: /etc/group

Adam Bisbe bblp at bisbe.net
Mon Oct 29 09:43:06 EST 2001

Hi

I have a group with a increasing number of people, now when I add a new user
I get this error:

> WARNING: Group entry exceeds 512 char: /etc/group entry truncated.

I have found on archives this solution, but I am unable to add a new group
with the same id:

>Create a new group with a different name but with the same numeric group ID.
>(The number is actually the only thing that identifies the group.) Add other
>users to the new group.
I get:
UX: groupadd: ERROR: 8 is already in use.  Choose another.d

solaris is:
SunOS xxx 5.8 Generic_108528-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

Thank you
Adam