open_ssl w/ Solaris 8 - missing /dev/random

Daniel Denes dd at weblicon.de
Fri Feb 1 15:43:29 EST 2002

Hi List,

suppose others ran into this before. I want to use apache with mod_ssl and i
am about to generate a csr (Certificate Signing Request ). Using the example
commands from Verisign(TM)'s page, i get:
root at bladerunner [/etc/apache]> /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl req -new -nodes
-keyout private.key -out public.csr
Using configuration from /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf
unable to load 'random state'
This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
with much random data.
Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key
26156:error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not
seeded:md_rand.c:492:You need to read the OpenSSL FAQ,
http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
26156:error:04069003:rsa routines:RSA_generate_key:BN lib:rsa_gen.c:182:

I've read web pages about that all day and basically the problem appears to be
that there is no file with random content, as comparable to linux's
/dev/random. Did anyone else run into this and if so, how did you find a
solution? Btw its a blade 1000 with Solaris 8, 7/01.

TIA,

Daniel

--
   daniel denes . weblicon technologies ag