SUMMARY: strange disk capacity on blade100

Gerard Henry ghenry at cmi.univ-mrs.fr
Thu Apr 22 09:12:17 EDT 2004

very thanks to all who responded, now it works!
i found another old contribution here:
http://sunportal.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2003-November/004570.html

for me, the correct thing is to do:
hobbit-root% dd if=/setup.log of=/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s2 count=16 bs=65536
0+1 records in
0+1 records out

if i try to use raw device, it didn't work
hobbit-root% dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s2 count=16 bs=65536
0+0 records in
0+0 records out

to p. bauer, i don't see any "autoconfigure" on format!

here is repoonses:
Ric Anderson:
I'm running a Western Digital 120GB in a blade-100
with no problems.  My guess is the disk you got was
mislabled internally.  If there is no data on it, do a
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c0tXd0s2 count=16 bs=65536
to wipe any disk label on the device, then let format look at
it.  Another possibility is that there are some jumper settings on
the drive to limit its capacity for older systems, and those may
also need to be changed.

Peter Stokes:
Sounds like you need to delete the label on the disk.

Try

 dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 count=20

 Peter Bauer:
 The disk was probably used as a mirror for another 20G disk. You might look
at the partition table you'll get in format and take a look what you find on
the disk.  :-)

To fix your prob, launch format, select your disk, and then select "type" ->
"autoconfigure". Afterwards, write the new (correct) disk label on the disk.