rsh still fails

Rancier, Jeff Jeff.Rancier at Sensis.com
Mon Jun 6 17:15:13 EDT 2005

I've googled, read the archives, used man, and still get get "permission
denied" when attempting rsh.  I've created both a ~/.rhosts and a
/etc/hosts.equiv.  Both with the entries in the format

+myhost.this.that.com +myname
+123.234.345.456 +myname

I also tried it without the '+'s as well.  I've commented of the CONSOLE in
/etc/default/login.  I double checked /etc/inet/inetd.conf to make sure the
'shell stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.rshd in.rshd' line is there, I've
added the rsh caller's hosts entry in the /etc/inet/hosts file.  I even took
an ethereal trace to ensure the request was on port 514.

I can't think of anything else to try.  Ideas?

TIA
Jeff