SUMMARY: pinning a process to a cpu

Joe Reid jreid at vnet.net
Tue Mar 28 01:58:45 EST 2006

Thanks to:
Martin Presslaber
Kalyan Manchikanti
Vladimir Terziev
Erek Adams
francisco
Webpro - joe
Scott Lawsom
Chris Smith
Atul Gore
and Hutin Bertrand
(so far)

The answer to my question - how to pin a process to a cpu was best
answered with pbind - give it a pid (already started) on the commandline
and a cpuid (from mpstat) and it will bind any of your own processes to
a given cpu - root not needed.

I got another set of answer regarding cpu sets; if I had a really big
machine and wanted to setup an encoding farm that's probably how I'd do
it, but pbind solved my problem.

Thanks again to the sunmanagers.

----original query-----

--