failed to execute child process (xscreen saver)

Asiye Yiğit asiye.yigit at gantek.com
Thu Oct 19 07:18:28 EDT 2006

Hi All,
I have faced weird problem in my Solaris 10 x86 box. My user is using csh. so,
I have edited .cshrc (In fact I have also tested .login file) to reflect my
application paths. When I add path definition to .login or .cshrc,
the user can not use screen saver regardless of the path order. When we click
the screen saver, it gives "failed to execute child process (xscreensaver). no
such file or directory). If there is no path line, everything seems to be
okay. I have tested two different formats for testing.  I have decreased paths
one by one from the line to control whether the system is angry with any, all
time, I have faced the same problem. no path variable, no problem. So, what do
you suggest? Do you think it is a bug or there is something we are discarding.

setenv PATH
"/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/css/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/sfw
/lib/mozilla:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:
."
set path=(/bin /usr/bin /usr/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/sbin /opt/SUNWspro/bin
/usr/sfw/bin /usr/sfw/lib/mozilla /usr/local/bin /usr/ucb
/etc .)

Regards,
Asiye Yigit