In SE3510FC - unfail command fails to take failed controller online

Alejandro Guajardo alex at itesm.mx
Thu Oct 19 13:51:05 EDT 2006

 Hi all... I have this problem. Have any idea?

I had a SE3510 FC with dual controllers configured active-active with
4.15 FW:

sccli> show redundancy
 Primary controller serial number: 8101936
 Primary controller location: Lower
 Redundancy mode: Active-Active
 Redundancy status: Enabled
 Secondary controller serial number: 8101885

I issued a "fail" command to verify failover and transparent access to
LUNs from hosts:

sccli> fail primary
Are you sure? y

After that, I have this:

sccli> show redundancy
 Primary controller serial number: 8101885
 Primary controller location: Upper
 Redundancy mode: Active-Active
 Redundancy status: Scanning
 Secondary controller serial number: 0

Everything worked just fine an the LUNs failed-over correctly. The
problem is that I can't make the failed controller go back online. I
tried:

1st option.-
sccli> unfail
Are you sure? y

sccli> show redundancy
 Primary controller serial number: 8101885
 Primary controller location: Upper
 Redundancy mode: Active-Active
 Redundancy status: Scanning
 Secondary controller serial number: 0

2nd option.-

sccli> reset controller
WARNING: This is a potentially dangerous operation.
The controller will go offline for several minutes.
Data loss may occur if the controller is currently in use.
Are you sure? y
sccli: shutting down controller...
sccli: controller is shut down
sccli: resetting controller...
sccli: controller has been reset

sccli> show redundancy
 Primary controller serial number: 8101885
 Primary controller location: Upper
 Redundancy mode: Active-Active
 Redundancy status: Scanning
 Secondary controller serial number: 0

What I have not tried is powering off the full array. This is my last
resort, but I want to see if there is any other option before I do
this...

Thanks and regards,
Alex